Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Day 37 :Our last day! Gurun - Alor Star - Langkawi

Date : April 8th, 2009
Distance travelled : 45 km
Time taken : 2.30 hours

Good, it was already our last day of our tour! My, who would have thought that we would be cycling solo home on our last day of the tour!

We woke up at 6am because we decided to leave early to reach Kuala Kedah. Our sponsored ferry was leaving at 10.30am to Langkawi and we had to get there beforehand.

We went out and walked around to look for our breakfast but found out that no shops were opened yet since it was still early. Mak said that we should just ride out a bit further and there should be some stalls opened there. So we went back to our hotel, got our bikes and cycled to Gurun town. Within 5 minutes, we found some food stalls and stopped at one that had more choices :o)

After our breakfast, we cycled back to our hotel to get ready. As Mak was packing his wet clothes, he asked me to put my wet socks together with his. It was then I told him that it was best we went our separate ways. He was nonplussed at first but when he realised that I was serious, the grateful look on his face was enough to tell me that I did the right thing. He couldn't stop thanking me afterwards :o)

Of course he made me promised to cycle safely and to observe the traffic along the way and he asked me to let him know once I got home safely to Langkawi. Well, we'll see...hehehe

After packing up, we thanked each other for a great journey together and exchanged a hug and a pat on our backs for a job well done! We then pushed our bikes out of the hotel and slowly started our solo journey back....

At the traffic lights, I bid him farewell and turned right to Alor Star while he turned left and I didn't look back and continued on my journey until I nearly reached Kuala Kedah. That was when my friend, Anuar saw me cycling and he stopped his car and waited for me to pass. What a coincidence! He told me he wanted to hear all my stories before I went back to Langkawi! He said he had to settle some work related matters first but would meet up with me at the jetty in about 45 minutes.

Since I already missed the first sponsored ferry at 10.30am, my next ferry was at 1.30pm, it was great that I could chat with someone while waiting for my ferry :o) I told him about our adventures over lunch and by the time I finished, it was time to leave! Anuar sent me all the way to the ferry and we said our goodbyes and I was on my way back to Langkawi!

When I reached Langkawi, it was a bit of an anti-climax because most of my friends didn't know that I was coming back on that day. The ones that did couldn't make it to greet me at the jetty. As I cycled home alone, all my earlier sense of euphoria faded and I felt a deep sense of emptiness welling inside me and it really wasn't the greatest feeling ever, I must say! Guess I was also tired and feeling out of sorts after being on the road for 37 days straight, and with a goal to meet each day and now that it was over, I felt lost for a moment!

Oh well, I guess it'll take me a few days to recover and be back to normal again.....

As for my partner in crime, I found out later that he reached Sg. Petani in about 1.15 hours :o)


  1. Hi,Sandra.I'm a 17 years old and a sporting girl :D.Err...i have a dream to tour bike over the malaysia :D...So i have a plan that after SPM,i decide travel the peninsular Malaysia with my several friends...Err can i know how you prepare for journey??And can i know how long you plan for the journey?? Omg after read your post...i feels that truly inspiring and fascinating... :D <3 <3

  2. HI Ke Shing!

    Many thanks for visiting my blog :)

    Actually, you can find my answers in my book and you can also use it as a rough guide as it has 10 maps :) If you like to place an order, please write to me direct at

    Hope to hear from you soon!